curiouswombat: (tea tray)
[personal profile] curiouswombat
This week's pictures were taken before we came home from York. D-d having lived there for 5 academic years has a good working knowledge of the city that the visitor just doesn't have. So she knows some of the 'hidden gems'. We took breaks to eat in two of them - and I remembered to get out the camera. So under the cut are pictures of two historic buildings - with food!



We began to pack D-d's belongings in deadly earnest on the Saturday morning - I leave the array of boxes, bags, suitcases etc. to your imagination. By about 12.30 we decided we needed a break and D-d promised me an unusual, and restful, lunch break. We left the chaos of her room, got into her car, and drove towards the College of Law - but then turned off into Bishopthorpe and to Middlethorpe Hall. There is very little to indicate that this is anything but a beautiful historical building owned by the National Trust. You have to be in the know to realise it runs as a small hotel and spa!

Middlethorpe Hall 4

It doesn't feel like a hotel even when inside - but we were shown to the Drawing Room where two or three other groups of people sat around in conversation, enjoying their lunch. We sat in comfortable armchairs at a large coffee table, and then a young lady arrived and gave us a linen tablecloth, tea for D-d, and an alcoholic tipple for me as she was driving...

Middlethorpe Hall 1

All very civilised. We had a chicken and bacon salad and a bacon and brie baguette - not quite as Jane Austen-ish as the surroundings!

Middlethorpe 2

Middlethorpe 3

We had a walk around afterwards - this is the Hall from the end of the 'vista' at the front -

Middlethorpe Hall 5

There is an urn where I stood to take that, as a focal point for those admiring the vista from the Hall. But it was empty - and the matching one near the hall was prettier -

Middlethorpe Hall 6

We were not alone in admiring that view, either -

Middlethorpe rabbit

It certainly made for a very pleasant interlude in the packing!

On an earlier trip to York, d-d and I went around The Treasurer's House, and I commented to her that, on the Friday, when she was doing exams and I was waiting for the car to be mended, I had almost popped into the tearoom for my lunch, except that it was shut on Fridays. "Oh - next door is even better!' she said. And so on Monday afternoon, after our visit to Barley Hall, and our fishy pedicure, she showed me what she meant by taking me to Gray's Court.


The guide in the Treasurer's House said that the National Trust did not own all of the original site as it had been split up in the eighteenth century. What he didn't say is that the bit of the complex they don't own is now a small hotel and one of the real hidden gems of York for lazing in and enjoying a leisurely coffee, afternoon tea, or whatever. This is, clearly, known to some of the young people who either live or study in the area, as over half the others there were about D-d's age!

It is quite possible to hang out in any one of three or four rooms on the main floor - which is, in a building of this style and age, the first floor not the ground floor. But on a nice day it is a real pleasure to sit out in the garden.

This is the way down to the garden from the main building -

Gray's Court York.

If you look closely you can see that the lower left side of the building is made out of large pale stone blocks - sort of the same ones as the city walls... as the first building on the site was actually Roman, and it has has been occupied continuously for over 1,000 years it is very likely that those blocks are contemporary with the city walls, or even older. The bricks even show clear evidence of three building phases we realised when we looked closely - but I didn't photograph them in close up - for which you are probably grateful. Oh - the wooden structure in the foreground? That is the Guinea Pig's hutch - but he was sleeping in the shadows in his main living accommodation.

As you can see, the gardens are beautiful -

Gray's Court York.

Gray's Court York.

You can see some more of the old stone used to build that terracing - look closely and there is a table and chairs up there - which just makes life even more interesting for the waiting on staff! Just behind those trees actually is the City Wall - D-d and I feature in the photographs of a group of tourists who stopped to take pictures of the people eating and drinking in the garden of what looks just like a large private house. They probably thought we were all the idle rich, film stars, or whatever. Some of us looked the part -

Gray's Court York 2.

You can see what I mean about the clientèle being quite young by the others in the background. Actually there were about seven or eight young people in that group and as two got up to leave one of the others said "It's nothing that a couple of articles in 'Hello' magazine couldn't cope with..."

To which another young man replied, "I'm more of a New Scientist person myself."

And the original speaker came back, in a beautifully languid upper class drawl with only slight Yorkshire undertones, "Well - each to his own, I suppose. Perhaps an article or two in that..."

Which left me fascinated at what might easily feature in both publications!

If you want to know more about Gray's Court, click here - and for what we ate - well just look here -

Gray's Court York.

We'd started before I remembered to take a picture! That was a cheese platter and an antipasti platter - each one person sized! We shared the whole thing - and very, very good it all was too. In fact it kept us both going until about 11pm, when we sat in my car, at Heysham, and ate the salad and things we had bought ourselves in M&S.

So - anyone wanting to eat in great style in a York hidden gem (you'd need a car for Middlethorpe) we'd recommend either, and happily explain how to find them if needs be!



Tomorrow D-d sets off to travel all summer. I will try to distract myself with writing. I'll have to - I still haven't finished the Tolkien BigBang story and it's due in a couple of weeks or so! Still, it's at almost 16,000... I'm sure I'll make it. Well, pretty sure!

Date: 26/06/2011 03:36 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cairistiona7.livejournal.com
What fascinating places... I love that the 2nd place has part of the Roman Road in its cellar, according to the website. I think the food from the first place would suit me better than the food from the second--bacon and brie sound a wonderful combination.

Love the rabbit!

Date: 26/06/2011 03:47 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
I must admit that I love the way that cities like York have just been built on top of their own earlier phases, over and over again; sometimes whilst still living in the building, just adding a bit on the side, or the front, then moving into that bit to update the older bit and so on.

Hot bacon and brie sandwiches are gorgeous - you really should try.

There were a few rabbits around - but that was my best picture!

Date: 26/06/2011 03:46 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gamiila.livejournal.com
If ever I go to York, I'll be sure to ask for directions!

Date: 26/06/2011 03:58 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Do. Having insider knowledge is really cool!

Date: 26/06/2011 03:48 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] brutti-ma-buoni.livejournal.com
What gorgeous places! I've never heard of either, and clearly been missing out. How lucky to have a local spy to share with us!

Date: 26/06/2011 04:06 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Aren't they both lovely spots? Having a 'local guide' has been such a bonus. To start with she only knew the obvious places - but then that was fine as they were still new to us, too. As time went on she found new and more interesting places, and we go to see some of them, as well.

If you are up that way both are worth looking for - as, indeed, is the Treasurer's house, and tiny coffee shops like 'Coffee Culture' rather than any of the thousands of Starbucks!

Date: 26/06/2011 03:49 pm (UTC)
shirebound: (Default)
From: [personal profile] shirebound
I love hearing about (and seeing) foods that I might not be familiar with. Yum.

Date: 26/06/2011 04:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
It's a pleasure to share - I'd pass you the plate but I haven't quite figured how to send bacon and brie by Wi-Fi!

Date: 26/06/2011 04:04 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] petzipellepingo.livejournal.com
Lovely settings and even lovelier foodstuffs.

Date: 26/06/2011 04:09 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
I do find that good food enhances historical buildings!

Date: 26/06/2011 05:06 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] clodia-metelli.livejournal.com
Mmmm - delicious food pictures, and what lovely surroundings!

Date: 26/06/2011 06:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Somehow 'bacon in a bun' is so much more refined in those circumstances! I'd guess you'd know similar 'hidden spots' in your city too.

Date: 26/06/2011 05:09 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ballena.livejournal.com
Those places look fabulous - just right for 'chillaxing' together - looks like you had a lovely time. I miss York, and have loved your last few posts with all the pictures. Although, I think I would have to 'lose' Chloe for a few hours to visit most of the places you have shown, ha ha!
Hope the first leg of DD's travel goes well tomorrow, and I will be thinking of you too xxx

Date: 26/06/2011 06:38 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Have you been back since you left? D-d is planning to - but I know how life is and she might get once or twice...

Actually you could have let her trot around in Gray's Court Garden pretty well - there was a lot of room to table, if you see what I mean.

I will be thinking of you too xxx - thank you - it really is appreciated - I am being a calm useful Mum at the moment... on the surface.

Date: 26/06/2011 05:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ningloreth.livejournal.com
What lovely, unusual places to eat!

I envy D-d her big adventure (or I would, if my knees were a bit better, LOL). Where is she going, exactly?

I'm at about 1400 words. It's sort of going well but I'm being lazy. Fingers crossed we'll both finish in tme.

Date: 26/06/2011 06:46 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
If you go up to see the costume exhibition I can easily direct you to Gray's Court - it is about 5 minutes walk away.

The travel itinerary is; tomorrow, Home -> Gatwick -> Heathrow -> Buenos Aires arriving Tuesday lunchtime, and find her way to her friend's house. Stay for 2 weeks.

Then BA -> Sydney, stay with another friend for 4 days before joining a group to travel up the east coast to Cairns, by bus over a 2 week period. Cairns -> Perth. Stay in Australind with grandparents for 10 days.

Perth -> Sydney -> Bangkok. Meet up with friends who will have travelled there separately. Stay 2 weeks.

Bangkok -> Heathrow -> Gatwick -> home. There is a note on the calendar on August 24th which says 'Don't forget to meet me at Ronaldsway at 1.25pm today.'

My story is at 15,700 - but I am procrastinating!

Date: 27/06/2011 12:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kortirion.livejournal.com
Wow - that's some itinerary - I'm green with envy!

Date: 27/06/2011 12:06 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
It is, to an extent, her last chance to do it easily. She is still, technically, a student and so has got a reduced price round the world ticket! She doesn't start in her new job until late August/early September, hence the summer off, as well.

Date: 26/06/2011 05:49 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julia-here.livejournal.com
Another coincidence of Yorkshire experience: the group of rosarians who we travelled with in '99 were supposed to go there for luncheon but the entire place was either being used for filming something or for a wedding, I can't remember at this late date.

I wish I had some equally debonaire venue to go for Sunday lunch: after the past couple of weeks I need to be pampered. However, the shape of your story seems to indicate that you got the pampering in media res and the endurance test all around it?

Julia, having take a week off from chicken coop construction.

Date: 26/06/2011 06:49 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Gosh - that is a coincidence. Yes - the pampering was a sort of series of breaks in the endurance test - which certainly helped get through the long, heavy and boring bits.

I do hope someone pampers you during this week - even what was basically 'bacon in a bun' was a treat when made by someone else and served up for me!

Your chickens might have liked the Guinea Pig run...

Date: 26/06/2011 07:04 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] zanthinegirl.livejournal.com
Those both look fascinating and fun. And yum; it's just possible I'm hungry. And my lunch won't be anywhere near as exciting!

Date: 26/06/2011 07:17 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
The food was excellent in both cases. Bacon and brie baguette is not that difficult to replicate...

Date: 26/06/2011 07:52 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] engarian.livejournal.com
Everything looks so wonderful, both the food and the buildings. That's one of the things that I miss about places other than the US - your buildings have history! For us, something slightly over 150 years is considered almost ancient - LOL.

- Erulisse (one L)

Date: 26/06/2011 08:19 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
For us, something slightly over 150 years is considered almost ancient - LOL.

That's why my daughter, whose BA is in History, says of Australia that it's an interesting place but she couldn't live there - the idea of nowhere being much more than a century, or two at the most, would unsettle her totally.

Date: 27/06/2011 08:46 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] engarian.livejournal.com
I so understand, although Australia actually is a bit older than the US :-) Not by much, though - LOL.

- Erulisse (one L)
I hope she has a wonderful summer, try not to worry too much.

Date: 26/06/2011 08:38 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ellynn-ithilwen.livejournal.com
Wonderful post, dear! :)

Date: 26/06/2011 09:08 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Thank you - not quite as exciting as Paris, though!

Date: 26/06/2011 08:58 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] inzilbeth-liz.livejournal.com
What beautiful places to visit. I'm especially impressed that the first house doesn't look like a spar and hotel. The appearance of so many places could be improved by following suit. Good luck with the writing!

Date: 26/06/2011 09:09 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Aren't they both lovely? I was very fortunate that D-d had developed such good local knowledge.

Date: 26/06/2011 09:52 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] estelcontar1.livejournal.com
York is most definitely my cup of tea. I see I'll have no trouble finding a comfortable hotel to stay at when I visit. I've already bookmarked Gray's Court and Middlethorpe Hall homepages.

I loved your bunny friend. He looks so cute.

Date: 26/06/2011 10:22 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
York is a lovely spot - and we can also recommend The Cedar Court (http://www.cedarcourtgrand.co.uk/) for a really nice place to stay in the city. Although, to be honest, I usually stay at the Holiday Inn or the Novotel and visit places like Gray's Court or Middlethorpe Hall for meals!

Date: 27/06/2011 11:03 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] estelcontar1.livejournal.com
I've bookmarked The Cedar Court's link too. You see my holidays, which I take once a year, are my relaxing time so I like to splurge. *g*

Date: 26/06/2011 10:18 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daiseechain.livejournal.com
I will definitely be needing those directions as York is high on my list of places to head to again.

O_O to the overheard conversation! Personally, I'm with the New Scientist man.

Date: 26/06/2011 10:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
No problem - I can navigate around York really well now. Actually, after getting confused in the diversion on the way home, I can do the middle of Harrogate with a good deal more confidence too...

I do like an unusual overheard conversation!

Date: 26/06/2011 10:39 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] hillarygayle.livejournal.com
That sounds like an INCREDIBLE weekend! I'm rather envious.

The brie & bacon baguette has especially got me going. We have a small place here in town called Godsey's Gourmet, and they have a bacon & brie sandwich. I am SO going to get one of those tomorrow. <3

Date: 26/06/2011 10:47 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
It was a hard working weekend too, as we gathered five years of D-d's life into bags and boxes and stowed them into the two cars. But due to a problem with the sailings we had an extra day once everything was packed as we weren't sailing until the overnight boat to get home - and sitting in the sunshine in Gray's Court was a very nice way to spend some of it!

Date: 26/06/2011 11:52 pm (UTC)
ext_2333: "That's right,  people, I am a constant surprise." (thank you)
From: [identity profile] makd.livejournal.com
Gorgeous! (Right down to the rabbit!)

As always, thanks for sharing these. Much appreciated.

Date: 27/06/2011 11:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Thank you - I really enjoy sharing - it helps me fix things in my own memory too.

Date: 27/06/2011 12:06 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nutmeg3.livejournal.com
I'm torn between BUNNY! and beiing very, very hungry. Great photos, as always.

Date: 27/06/2011 12:01 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Oh - I like the bunny icon! have a bacon and brie sandwich - you know you want too...!

Date: 27/06/2011 06:16 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] bojojoti.livejournal.com
How green and beautiful. We're about to enter our parched phase. Everything is still green and lovely, but if the heat doesn't break, it won't be long before the grass goes dormant and everything else looses its lushness.

D-d does look like one of the idle rich!

I'd say not to worry, but mothers don't do that very well.

Date: 27/06/2011 12:03 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
We have a price to pay for the greenness - today our temperature is only reaching 16C (61F) - and it is damp...

She does a good impression of the idle rich, doesn't she? So far she seems to have got safely to London... well I am assuming so as I haven't heard otherwise.

Date: 27/06/2011 07:32 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] keswindhover.livejournal.com
Hmm, you take very loving photographs of food, don't you? Food as art!

And I made a note of the locations. I'd like to go back to York someday soon and enjoy a long weekend.

Date: 27/06/2011 07:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
You must admit it is very pretty food...

Actually, not the same type of hidden gem at all, but in the city's shopping area you get the best value coffee (with refills) and cake at the Spurriergate centre (http://www.thespurriergatecentre.com/) which is in a church with bits that date back to the 12th Century.

Date: 27/06/2011 08:14 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] keswindhover.livejournal.com
I've been there - but to stare at the architecture, not drink coffee. Next time I will add refreshments.

January 2025

S M T W T F S
   1234
56 7891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated 21 Jul 2026 10:32 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios