This week I took some pictures of a few places that I pass regularly when I take Mum's wee dog for a walk.
When I was a child I used to love some of the cottages at Cranstal, an area between Bride village and the Point of Ayre - they were what my cousin called 'houses with hair nets on' - and I finally took pictures of a couple of them to share. Also there is one taken in the church garden this morning with flowers!
This picture set also contains another 'interesting gateway' - which brought
just_ann_now to mind!
Also some variants on natural roofing...
The 'houses with hairnets' were those thatched in the local style - with straw or bent-grass from the shore, laid thickly, and then covered with a network of suggane rope (rope made from twisted straw or similar) to help hold it down - the 'hair-nets'. here is a picture of a cottage thatched similarly in the south of the island.
Now there are only two of the Cranstal thatched cottaged left that have not had their roofs replaced with slate. Thatch is pretty, but needs to be replaced regularly - so is not cheap in the long term!
You get some idea of why you need to replace the thatch regularly when you look at these pictures of Cranstal Cottage -

As you can see there is grass growing in the thatch - not a good sign...
You can also see that attempts have been made to 'extend' a little - the concrete building with the modern window, between the original house and the original outhouse, seems to have slipped under the planners radar at some time...
This is Cranstal Cottage seen from the front -

It doesn't take lying empty long to get to that state - this picture was taken when it went onto the market a couple of summers ago. And why is it still on the market? Well would you pay over £200,000 for it? Even when the estate agents picture was taken it was pretty obvious that it would need re-thatching!
It does have a nice shiny name-plate though -

I think that's my favourite picture of the set! I must do a post of just gates - a Gate Post - sometime!
Only about 50 yards away is another of the thatched cottages - this one has been re-thatched in the past ten years or so - and had work done on the stone walls that it is built from, as well. But whether they couldn't find anyone local to re-thatch for them, or whether they thought to go for something more durable, this one is actually thatched in an English style that uses, I think, reeds.

It has a new garage/outbuilding too - which has an even more eco-friendly roof - this one is meant to have the grass growing on it!

I think I rather like turf roofing.
Whilst I was down Cranstal I also took a few pictures of an abandoned farm - Kerroodhoo. Perhaps I should post them on
rural_ruin...



A rather out-of-place small craft -

Although I suppose the sea is only about 1/4 mile away.
And finally the dub (farm pond) -

Abandoned farms are sad - but strangely haunting.
Finally - I took this picture in the garden at church this morning -

At last - proper clumps of daffodils!
There isn't much else going on in life at the minute; work is reasonably busy and my manager, after a year off through ill-health, has been back for a week of half-days and realised that she cannot cope, so she is off ill again and has applied to take early retirement on health grounds. So soon there will be changes.
D-d comes home for two weeks next Saturday, which will be lovely.
And, with any luck, I might finish The Winter Tale before midsummer even if I haven't got it finished for the beginning of spring!
When I was a child I used to love some of the cottages at Cranstal, an area between Bride village and the Point of Ayre - they were what my cousin called 'houses with hair nets on' - and I finally took pictures of a couple of them to share. Also there is one taken in the church garden this morning with flowers!
This picture set also contains another 'interesting gateway' - which brought
Also some variants on natural roofing...
The 'houses with hairnets' were those thatched in the local style - with straw or bent-grass from the shore, laid thickly, and then covered with a network of suggane rope (rope made from twisted straw or similar) to help hold it down - the 'hair-nets'. here is a picture of a cottage thatched similarly in the south of the island.
Now there are only two of the Cranstal thatched cottaged left that have not had their roofs replaced with slate. Thatch is pretty, but needs to be replaced regularly - so is not cheap in the long term!
You get some idea of why you need to replace the thatch regularly when you look at these pictures of Cranstal Cottage -

As you can see there is grass growing in the thatch - not a good sign...
You can also see that attempts have been made to 'extend' a little - the concrete building with the modern window, between the original house and the original outhouse, seems to have slipped under the planners radar at some time...
This is Cranstal Cottage seen from the front -

It doesn't take lying empty long to get to that state - this picture was taken when it went onto the market a couple of summers ago. And why is it still on the market? Well would you pay over £200,000 for it? Even when the estate agents picture was taken it was pretty obvious that it would need re-thatching!
It does have a nice shiny name-plate though -

I think that's my favourite picture of the set! I must do a post of just gates - a Gate Post - sometime!
Only about 50 yards away is another of the thatched cottages - this one has been re-thatched in the past ten years or so - and had work done on the stone walls that it is built from, as well. But whether they couldn't find anyone local to re-thatch for them, or whether they thought to go for something more durable, this one is actually thatched in an English style that uses, I think, reeds.

It has a new garage/outbuilding too - which has an even more eco-friendly roof - this one is meant to have the grass growing on it!

I think I rather like turf roofing.
Whilst I was down Cranstal I also took a few pictures of an abandoned farm - Kerroodhoo. Perhaps I should post them on



A rather out-of-place small craft -

Although I suppose the sea is only about 1/4 mile away.
And finally the dub (farm pond) -

Abandoned farms are sad - but strangely haunting.
Finally - I took this picture in the garden at church this morning -

At last - proper clumps of daffodils!
There isn't much else going on in life at the minute; work is reasonably busy and my manager, after a year off through ill-health, has been back for a week of half-days and realised that she cannot cope, so she is off ill again and has applied to take early retirement on health grounds. So soon there will be changes.
D-d comes home for two weeks next Saturday, which will be lovely.
And, with any luck, I might finish The Winter Tale before midsummer even if I haven't got it finished for the beginning of spring!
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 04:22 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:01 pm (UTC)Thatch was warm and cheap - when the people who lived in the cottages all knew how to re-thatch for themselves - but not so much now. Although I would guess it must have been something of a fire hazard.
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 04:49 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:02 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:07 pm (UTC)We finally have daffs out here, but only the tiny, early ones so far.
Most English thatching is done with reeds, I believe, but in some parts of the country they use straw. Our local thatchers put peacocks on the roof of every house they finish!
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:24 pm (UTC)For a while there were plans to take some of the land for land-fill but the village has had the all-island land-fill site on its doorstep for the past thirty years or so and finally won this one at planning.
I'm not sure why the owner doesn't sell the house for redevelopment - although perhaps he is just waiting for a very good offer.
My tiny daffs are opening by the day -but it is so nice to see the big ones finally out.
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:08 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:27 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:29 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:27 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:45 pm (UTC)But, of course, you could buy the farm house in the other pics and set up a whole animal sanctuary in the outhouses...!
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:55 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:59 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:49 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 05:54 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 06:39 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 07:09 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 08:17 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 08:47 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 07:14 pm (UTC)You are so lucky to have daffodils. I have lots of greenery but still no actual blooms yet!!
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 07:26 pm (UTC)Suddenly, in this last week, we have daffodils all along the hedgerows - by the middle of the week I think it will be quite glorious.
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 07:28 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 07:44 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 08:23 pm (UTC)And yay for daffs!
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 08:46 pm (UTC)If you go to Google Earth and put Cranstal in the 'go to' box it homes in onto the house about 20 yards away from this farm - there are two dubs visible - the one in my picture is the right hand one, and you even can see the abandoned rowing boat beside one of the outbuildings! Sadly it also looks as if there is a rather large hole in the back of the roof... But you can see that the farming around there is almost all sheep.
Thatch should, I think, make houses cheaper not more expensive - imagine spending over £200,000 on a tiny place, smaller than the average flat, because it has a picturesque roof!
no subject
Date: 22/03/2010 12:16 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 10:19 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 10:46 pm (UTC)You could put the picture of the original with the model... how cool would that be?
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 11:18 pm (UTC)I would've never noticed it if I hadn't moved them yesterday. IIRC they were thrown in when dad got some pewter Robert E Lee keyrings.
no subject
Date: 21/03/2010 11:46 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 22/03/2010 01:33 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 22/03/2010 08:46 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 22/03/2010 01:49 am (UTC)When you say that Cranstal Cottage slipped under the planner's radar, are they prohibited from adding on to the residence because it is a historical building?
On the Great Plains, whole houses used to be made of sod. It could be dirty, and too much rain could cause holes in the roof. To keep out the dirt and bugs, often newspapers or cloth would be glued to the walls.
http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0500/frameset_reset.html?http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0500/stories/0501_0108.html
Love the daffodils.
no subject
Date: 22/03/2010 12:22 pm (UTC)As for the odd extension - it isn't totally forbidden, but should be made of the same materials and in the same style as the rest of the building - and I don't think that quite meets that.
The sudden appearance of the daffodils has certainly brightened the place up - it really does feel as if winter is past now.
no subject
Date: 22/03/2010 05:00 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 22/03/2010 12:23 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 23/03/2010 04:03 am (UTC)That poor boat! So lost and lonely now. Maybe it used to get outings on the pond...
no subject
Date: 23/03/2010 08:33 am (UTC)I guess the boat may well have been used on the dub, or possibly taken down the shore which is within easy walking distance.
no subject
Date: 23/03/2010 01:10 pm (UTC)I was thinking more of the modern day impracticality of tHe thatch- but I do take your point!
no subject
Date: 14/04/2010 03:18 pm (UTC)It's sad that the cottage is still empty. It has much more character in its deteriorated state though...
no subject
Date: 14/04/2010 05:18 pm (UTC)The cottage does look rather picturesque - I think it is really a one person size, or two who like to be cosy and don't have an awful lot of 'stuff'.