curiouswombat: (notes from a small island)
[personal profile] curiouswombat
As you might expect there is something of a festive theme to this week's pictures - but a there are a couple which aren't about Christmas, honestly. Included is a picture of THIS YEAR'S CAKE. For newer friends, every year my daughter and I have a long planning discussion about the decorating of the Christmas cake, which over the years has featured 'Christmas present', a penguin acrobatic display team, a Christmas stocking, a reindeer... all sorts. We do the decoration from scratch with lots of fondant icing and a good deal of laughter...

So, under the cut are pictures of

Monday's picture is of one of my nativity sets - they have a candle bridge behind them for illumination and the baby is, of course, not there yet. He gets put into position after midnight on Christmas Eve.

Week 43 Monday

Tuesday is also Christmas themed - I thought of them as Santas - but after D-d's comment about some of the other Santas looking like the choir of the Unseen University I am beginning to think of these guys as rather rotund wizards as well...

Week 43 Tuesday

Wednesday's picture is of this year's Christmas cake - I did one with candles on for a friend and decided it looked good - D-d decided this cake needed four.

Week 43 Wednesday

We finally cut into it yesterday - and it tastes very good - it is the rich fruit cake we made before D-d went back to York in September, and it has matured very well.

Thursday was Christmas Eve, we finished off the preparations, and I wrapped presents into the night! D-d and I went to take presents, and last minute shopping, to my Mum, before going to the evening candle-lit service at Church. We passed through the village of Laxey and stopped to take a picture of the Christmas Greeting from the village commissioners -

Week 43 Thursday

They are the only ones I know who wish us all a Happy Christmas in Manx.


Friday was, of course, Christmas Day. One of my best presents was a lovely eternity ring from S2C - but there are no pictures of it yet, as he had, knowingly, got the wrong size as they didn't have the right size, and he wanted that particular ring - if you see what I mean. So I had to leave it in the box and take it back this afternoon for them to get the correct size in for me.

The other best Christmas present was my own Archbishop Sentamu to go onto the tree! How brilliant is this?

Week 43 Friday

He came, of course from York Minster, courtesy of D-d.

Yesterday was Boxing Day - we have a wee family get together, currently at our house, as my sister's house refurbishment is not yet finished and they are still in a small flat. My sister has actually been quite unwell over the whole run up to Christmas, she wasn't even well enough to come to church on Christmas Day, so D-d and I started the afternoon by going north to collect Mum.

This picture is actually of Ramsey harbour as it shows all of the general cargo capacity to get bulky stuff on and off the island - the three 'Ben boats' the Ben Ellan, Ben Varrey and Ben Maye, owned by Ramsey Steamship Company, and the Silver River owned by Mezaron, an even smaller local company. Christmas is the only time that you will see all the freighters in their home port together. On Christmas Eve there were even more small fishing boats in the harbour but some of them had sailed by lunchtime on Boxing Day.

Week 43 Saturday

Today we went to church and had a Carols of Praise Service - two prayers, one reading, and ten carols chosen my members of the congregation, with brief explanations as to why they chose them. There was a friendly relaxed atmosphere - so much so that when we got to 'Brightest and Best of the Sons of the Morning' and the organist started to play the tune in the hymn books a chorus of voices went up 'No! Not that tune!" and there was a short interlude whilst she looked through three other books and tried various tunes until there was a chorus of"Yes" That's the one we remember!" and the service proceeded.

After lunch I went into Douglas to go and see a jeweller about a ring... I parked at the far end of the promenade and walked along it rather than up the street. This route took me past the sculpture to commemorate the saving of the crew of the St George in 1830 by a volunteer crew led by Sir William Hillary. The three dimensional memorial stone is much more recent, of course - it created some controversy when first unveiled three or four years ago. It seems to be one of those things you either love or hate - I really like it -

Week 43 Sunday

Now we have all sorts of Christmas food to eat up - good thing there are twelve days to Christmas to get through it all!

Date: 27/12/2009 06:02 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] slaymesoftly.livejournal.com
Wonderful pictures, as always. I loved your nativity scene. And now I can say "Merry Christmas" in Manx! I'm glad to hear you and your family are having such a nice holiday. It seems very warm and family-oriented.

Wishing a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Date: 27/12/2009 06:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Thank you. Christmas is a very family time - and takes us all twelve days to eat all the cakes and shortbread etc!

I love that nativity set myself - and there are a couple of others around the house, too.

Happy New Year to you and yours, too.

Date: 27/12/2009 06:33 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] just-ann-now.livejournal.com
Oooh, that Celtic nativity set is just gorgeous. And I love the picture of Ramsey harbor - so bright! I can just imagine the crispness of the air.

Date: 27/12/2009 07:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
It was a really crisp bright day yesterday - we were commenting on it as we drove up - the temperature was about 5C about 40F, so cold enough, from our point of view

I do love that nativity set, greatly - it is one of my favourite Christmas things.

Date: 27/12/2009 06:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] petzipellepingo.livejournal.com
Yes, the cake was most delicious. Your Santas do have a touch of wizard but that makes them all the more festive IMO.

Nollick Ghennal as Blein Vie Noa!

Date: 27/12/2009 07:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Thank you - yes, you'd recognise the style of the decorating...!

Date: 27/12/2009 07:20 pm (UTC)
gillo: (Bloody good Christmas)
From: [personal profile] gillo
I agree with you about the memorial stone - it has so much vigour in it. And your own personal Archbishop is wonderful! (BTW, I'm so pleased he was so forceful about Ugandan homophobia)

Nice cake - that's a candle for each of the important beings in the household, I assume?

We've just polished off an entire tray of mince pies - suddenly the sixty I made and froze uncooked looks a little less than sufficient!

Date: 27/12/2009 08:00 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
You can buy Archbishop of Canterbury decorations too - but they don't sell so well...

I thought three candles slightly set to one side - but D-d has a more orderly mind and didn't fancy there being an are of plain white on one side!

We are still on out first dozen mince pies!

Date: 28/12/2009 12:06 am (UTC)
gillo: (Bloody good Christmas)
From: [personal profile] gillo
Heck, one Canterbury looks much like another, apart from the beard, but York is something special!

We had a visitor this afternoon ([livejournal.com profile] amidoh) and somehow the dozen just vanished. There are four of us to start with too, of course.

Date: 27/12/2009 07:39 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] melegyrn.livejournal.com
Wonderful photos, as always. I do like the nativity--it looks absolutely magical!

And I like the photo of Ramsey harbor. It is so like home, and yet not, if you know what I mean. But yes, it brings a whiff of sea air to mind. I've been looking at too many waterfowl lately, and I found myself wondering what varieties were swimming into harbor....

I'm a music minister at my church, and your story about the Carols of Praise Service made me smile. How treacherous church music can be! Good for your organist, keeping her head and finding the desired setting in the end.

Thanks for including Archbishop Sentamu. I did a little reading about him. It's always nice to see and learn something new.

Lastly, I will say that now I know how to spell "Merry Christmas" in Manx, but how do you say it?

Date: 27/12/2009 08:10 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
I have three different nativities - apart from the celtic one there is one on glass which had three tea-lights behind it, and a tiny Krakow one that D-d bought me in, well Krakow, actually! Pictured here (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/curiouswombat/christmas/?action=view&current=cribsStAndewsDayetc021small.jpg) - it is made from card and coloured foil and stand six inches high!

Archbishop Sentamu is a truly Godly man - and is admired greatly by many of the students in York.

Manx is more phonetic than Irish or Scots Gaelic - so it is Noll-ik Genn-al (with a hard G as in 'get' rather than as in 'germ').

Date: 27/12/2009 08:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] melegyrn.livejournal.com
The Krakow one is magnificent for only being 6 inches!

Yes, I was quite impressed by what I read of Archbishop Sentamu.

And thanks for the language lesson--stress is important too!

Date: 27/12/2009 08:02 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cairistiona7.livejournal.com
Lovely view of the harbor and I do like that sculpture, so put me in the "love it" category. Your carols service sounds like it was quite fun!

Date: 27/12/2009 08:23 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
I am so used to Ramsay harbour which is a proper working harbour, that I forget that it is interesting, if you see what I mean. The Ben boats had their Christmas decorations up on board, and a small tree on the bow of one of them, but it doesn't show on the pictures.

The carols were fun - but it was the fourth service in 8 days and so by today some people were missing! My sister had been organising it, only she'd been ill, and so it hadn't occurred to her to check the music in the hymnal - which is often not the tune we know...

There were a couple of visitors in church - they must have wondered what sort of place they were in when the congregation pointed out, loudly, that it was the wrong tune!

Date: 27/12/2009 08:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] inzilbeth-liz.livejournal.com
The cake looks gorgeous and that's a beautiful memorial stone. I hope your sister is better sooon.

Date: 27/12/2009 08:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
The cake tastes good too! My sister looks, and feels, a lot better. She missed a lot of Christmas, but was well enough to go, with her husband and two daughters, to her Mother-in-law's for dinner on Christmas day, and to us for tea yesterday, and so at least she didn't have to worry in case they starved!

Date: 27/12/2009 10:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nutmeg3.livejournal.com
All wonderful, but I'm particularly taken with the memorial plaque. I think it's wonderful.

Date: 27/12/2009 10:50 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
I love it too - it is three dimensional, with odd perspective so that it looks deeper than it is, and I think it is very clever.

Date: 27/12/2009 11:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] winsomeone.livejournal.com
Lovely pictures, as always. I thought the first picture with the golden light behind especially pretty.

Glad your sister is feeling better now, it's horrible to feel unwell at the holidays.

Thanks for the Christmas card-it's lovely.

Date: 27/12/2009 11:51 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
That whole corner has a golden glow - there is a gold candle, a small gold tree, and golden decorations on the little green tree - I really like it - i must remember to recreate it the same way next year!

My sister is the church secretary and so was fretting because she would have been quite involved with all the organising over Christmas - she felt guilty that others had to do it - but really none of us minded. She had a chest infection and then infected sinuses and really felt grotty, poor thing.

As for the card - it was my pleasure.

Date: 28/12/2009 12:37 am (UTC)
jerusha: (Default)
From: [personal profile] jerusha
I love the pictures! You have such a talent with cake decorating.

Date: 28/12/2009 11:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
To be honest the style we use is more like playing with play-doh - when I see some of the fantastic cakes that petzi shows pictures of I am embarrassed by our efforts - but we enjoy the fun of it every year.

Date: 28/12/2009 12:38 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sammywol.livejournal.com
Handsome! I love the candles behind the nativity (and the nummy ones on the cake too) but the little Bish is
sweeeeeet!

Date: 28/12/2009 11:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
My own personal Archbishop Sentamu is definitely one of the high spots of Christmas.

Date: 28/12/2009 02:02 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cbtreks.livejournal.com
The nativity is very pretty and I like the looks of your Christmas cake. Love the memorial stone!

Date: 28/12/2009 11:46 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
The Christmas cake tastes good too.

I like that memorial stone - I forgot to put in the post that the good news is that they did manage to save everyone off the St George.
(deleted comment)

Date: 28/12/2009 11:48 am (UTC)

Date: 28/12/2009 06:00 am (UTC)
ext_6732: (NF-Umbrella by Jan)
From: [identity profile] kitty-poker1.livejournal.com
What wonderful pics! I like the memorial stone too and S2C is a doll for buying you an eternity ring. Aww, how romantic. :)

Date: 28/12/2009 11:52 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
He actually bought me one when D-d was born - but a couple of years ago it was badly damaged, although it did stop the finger from being mangled. What is best, I think, is that the new one is not just a replica but he has chosen something different.

There will be a picture, but only when it has been resized and I can actually wear it.

Date: 28/12/2009 06:14 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thismaz.livejournal.com
What lovely pictures. I love your Archbishop Sentamu.
Can you do an approximation of the pronunciation of that greeting? I can't believe it is pronounced as it looks to me, because that wouldn't be logical.
I kind of like that memorial stone too, although I can see that people who want their perspective to be right, might not.
Happy New Year to you all.

Date: 28/12/2009 12:02 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
The Merry Christmas is pronounced Noll-ick Gen-al - you can here it here (http://www.energyfm.net/cms/bree.html) near the bottom of the page.

My own personal Archbishop Sentamu is one of the high spots of the season I think.

Blein vie noa! (Year happy new!) The pronunciation is at the same point on the link above!

Date: 28/12/2009 05:36 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thismaz.livejournal.com
Thank you for that. Hearing it, is certainly interesting. I was right, that is not how I would have pronounced it.
And I forgot to say, this morning -

Date: 28/12/2009 06:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Thank you! I am having a lovely lazy day.

Date: 28/12/2009 10:42 am (UTC)
ext_11988: made by lmbossy (ani happy birthday)
From: [identity profile] kazzy-cee.livejournal.com
Running in to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY - hope you have a lovely day and am spoiled by the family :)

Date: 28/12/2009 12:03 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Thank you - it is going to be a nicely lazy day, with a trip to our favourite Indian restaurant this evening.

Date: 28/12/2009 12:21 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ningloreth.livejournal.com
This has made me nostalgic for Christmas, now it's all over :-(

the baby is, of course, not there yet. He gets put into position after midnight on Christmas Eve

What a brilliant idea! I never thought of that.

Did you get your ring sorted?

Date: 28/12/2009 02:03 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
We only put the baby in place on Christmas morning in the nativity at church too - usually a job claimed by the first child in on Christmas morning - they all seem to know exactly where he is 'hidden' at the back of the stable!

I took the ring back and a nice young man set about ordering the identical one in the correct size. He asked one of the girls a question and she asked exactly what he was doing - and when he said 'the lady got it for Christmas but we didn't have the right size,' she said 'A pity the giver didn't know what size; we could just have ordered it...'

I said 'He did know the size - he brought in a ring that fitted,' and before I could say any more she said 'It would be your husband, then. Husbands always leave it too close to Christmas to come in and then there isn't time to order the right size!'

Date: 29/12/2009 01:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ningloreth.livejournal.com
'It would be your husband, then

LOL!

Mind you, who else would buy an eternity ring?

Date: 29/12/2009 02:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Hmm - good point! But the way she said it did amuse me!

Date: 28/12/2009 04:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vegmb.livejournal.com
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you have a wonderful day today.

I love Tuesday's pic of the wizard Santas. Of course he has to be a wizard to accomplish all he does. It looks like you had a lovely Christmas.

Date: 28/12/2009 04:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
Happy Birthday to you too!

Date: 29/12/2009 02:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] zanthinegirl.livejournal.com
Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce Nollick Ghennal?

Pretty pictures! I like the little bishop ornament, and I love the memorial stone. People hate that? Really?

Date: 29/12/2009 06:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] curiouswombat.livejournal.com
You pronounce it more or less as it looks - noll ik genn al - with a harg G as in 'get' rather than a soft one as in 'germ'.

Archbishop Sentamu is a truly Christian man - but he is also a rather cute Christmas decoration!

Some people didn't like the odd perspective in the plaque that gives the real sense of depth - they thought it should either be a sculpture, or an engraving, not something in between :~(

January 2025

S M T W T F S
   1234
56 7891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated 11 Oct 2026 11:49 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios